Saturday, October 24, 2009

My Best Day Ever


Well here we are October 23rd 2009. This was the best day I've ever had in real estate. We picked up cheques today from the lawyers totaling over $70,000. I thought last year when I received my commission for listing and selling a property for $1,450,000 ($54,000 commission) that that would be the best day I would ever have. Note: The $70,000 was all mine. No other agents or companies were involved. Needless to say we are in great shape for the coming winter and our firm has handled this recession with flying colours. The last two years are the best we've had in memory in over 30 years. We've accomplished this with more competition than we've ever had with all the big franchise's working in our market place. We do a lot of business on exclusive so most of our business is done under the radar so to speak (Not recorded on MLS). All our competitor's do everything on MLS so I can accurately compare our numbers to theirs. I know that my personal production so far (around 70 ends) is more than most offices with 10 or more sales people. So far I have saved my customers this year over $40,000 by listing and selling their properties on exclusive. They say happy wife happy life. In real estate I say happy customer happy life and a successful business.
Early in my career I thought if I were successful my competitors would admire and respect me. That was a misconception . As my career progressed I was often distressed by the personal attacks my competition continually made about my character and ability. Then I listened to Donald Trumps's "Think Big and Kick Ass" book on audio tape. He made this comment " Why would you be concerned if your competition doesn't treat you with respect ?'
He said " In the old west everyone always wanted to shoot the fastest gun." That statement helped me put things in the proper perspective. Now when some salesperson with 3 months experience gives me a hard time. I just grin and bear it. No I actually laugh all the way to the bank as I wait the short time it takes them to fail and leave the business. You see if there is anything I have learned about people it is that you always treat them with respect and never judge them. Everyone you meet can teach you something but only if you treat them with respect. Many brokers make the mistake of convincing new sales people that their company and sales people are so much better than the competition that they do not treat them with respect. I believe we all reap what we sow. Appreciation is the greatest human want. WHY ?? Because appreciation is so rare . Appreciation starts with respect for another persons point of view.

Well that's all for now. Have a great fall. I'm off to show a house !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment